04 August 2014

Jordan Takes Over: Write Everything Down

**The first Monday of every month, I let my muse take over the blog. I apologize in advance.**

Here's the thing, everyone. I actually had a really good idea for a post today. I really did. But, you know, I'm very busy, so I kinda forgot what it was supposed to be about. You can't blame me, really. I mean, technically I'm not real, so I don't have arms to write things down. And I totally told Sarah my idea but did she write it down? Of course not! So who's to blame here? Not me.

But it turns out this little mistake (not mine!) gave me a great idea for a bit of advice for you people. I'm sure you've heard it before, but it really can't be stressed enough: WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. No, seriously. EVERYTHING. If you expect your muse to remember every tiny little thought you have...well, I mean, maybe you have a muse who cares more than I do, but what do you want from us? We have to inspire you AND be some kind of bookkeeper? I don't think so.

And do you really think you're going to remember every single idea you have? How many times have you been hit by inspiration and you think to yourself, "oh, I'll remember that." Does that ever happen? Maybe if you came up with something major, sure. And I think the abstract ideas are easier to remember than something more concrete, say, a sentence. If you're writing an actual sentence in your head, do you actually expect to remember it hours, maybe days later--word for word? How about when you're drifting off to sleep and you come up with something, then say to yourself "I'll remember it in the morning!" Are you quite sure about that?

So here's my advice. First of all, always have something to write things down on. A notebook, a scrap of paper, your phone (this works great for those middle of the night ideas, since you don't even have to get up and turn on a light if your phone is right by your bed). Anything, really. Heck, if you've only got a pen, write it on your arm. If you think it's a good idea then why would you ever chance it slipping away?

Second! Always interrupt what you're doing for an idea. No, I don't care what it is or how important (I mean, unless you're at work and you think you'll get fired or something). If your muse has been gracious enough to inspire you, you'd better be damn sure you take notice or they might just start ignoring you. So yes, even if you're in the middle of a conversation, stop. If you're falling asleep, or you wake up in the middle of the night, or if a dream gives you an idea...get up and write it down. If you're drunk and get an idea, write it down--really slow so that you can actually read it once you're sober. If you're doing, you know...THINGS...with your boyfriend or your girlfriend...or your boyfriend AND your girlfriend (I'm just kidding, I've never had a threesome...not with a girl, anyway...) Where was I? Oh, right. So no matter what you're doing, if an idea hits you, STOP.

Ok, so now that I have a whole month to remember that good idea again, hopefully it will come back to me. That doesn't mean that I'm going to write it down...do as I say, not as I do, people.

JP

7 comments:

  1. I love your muse LOL!

    This is all so true - I can't count the times I've said, "It's okay, I'll remember." I never do. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, write it down. Most of my ideas have come from dreams and I try to write them down right after I wake up so I'll remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so take a muse that would also consent to be a bookkeeper! =) Jordan, you're a crazy kid as always, heh. But w/some super great advice today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice! That's why I always carry my journal with me, because otherwise I'll forget what I was thinking of before. The only thing is that sometimes I leave my journal in public places, which means strangers (like baristas) read it before I was able to get it back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love coming to your blog because I feel like we are so alike! I always get these great ideas for posts, then completely forget them when it comes time to write them. Ugh! It's so aggravating! You totally pulled this off! I have GOT to get better at writing things down! They are so important. And... when I do write them down, I've got to do better at remembering WHERE I wrote it down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have learned the hard way to write everything down. Every once in a while I think of something when I'm falling asleep but I'm too tired to turn around, turn on the light, and write it down. I always think I'll remember it in the morning but I never do. The next day I beat myself up. Writing everything down just saves time and self-hatred. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny that your narrator tries to boss you around. Better listen to him, or those ideas will be gone forever!

    ReplyDelete